My QTH

Dorohoi is a municipality in Botosani County , Moldova , Romania , consisting of the localities of Dealu Mare , Dorohoi (residence), Enescu Lots and Progress .

It is located on the bank of the Jijia River at 36 km from Botoşani , which is the county seat of the same name. At the 2011 census there was a population of 24,309 inhabitants.

 

Geographical location

Dorohoi, the residence of the former county of the same name , is located in the north-west of the Upper Moldavian Plain , in Botosani County, at the Upper Jijia Plain with the Bour Hills , at the Jijia River confluence with the Buhai River at 200 m altitude on the right bank of the Jijia River Geographically, the city is located in the northeastern part of Romania , in the contact area between the high hills of Bourul-Ibaneşti on the left of the Siret Valleyand the Moldavian Plain on the upper course of the Jijia River. The northern, north-west and west hills are Măgura Ibăneşti (385m), Pietris-Dersca (472m), Hapăi (472m). To the west, at 15 km, is the Siret valley and to the northeast, at 35-40 km is the Prut valley. As a global position, Dorohoi is at the intersection of the parallel 47 ° 58 ‘N with the meridian 26 ° 23’ E. The settlement at this latitude causes the city to receive a smaller amount of heat than the southern localities, the days are longer half an hour to the summer solstice, the spring to be delayed for two weeks, the autumn comes early and the winters are longer. The relief is fragmented by Jijia and its tributaries: the Buhai and Morii brooks united with the Criva and Ghiţăloaia streams. The lower elevation of the relief is in the major bed of Jijia,m . The climate of the region is temperate continental. The highest temperature was recorded on August 6, 1905, 38 ° C, and the lowest, -32.5 ° C on 5 February 1940. The characteristic soils are steppe and steppe. Chernozem is the predominant type of soil.

 

History

The first documentary date dates back to 6 oct. 1407. When the Moldavian boyars renewed the homage given by Alexander the Good in 1404 to the King of Poland in the town of Liov , signed by 27 boyars, among them Mihail Dorohoian. On 8 October 1408, Dorohoi was mentioned as a customs point for merchants who exported horses to Camenita. Mihail Dorohoian’s name appears in the documents of the fair for 27 years, between 1407 and 1434. Gh. Ghibanescu considers him the founder of the administrative activity in Dorohoi. In 1495, Stephen the Great built here the church of St. Nicholas. In the 15th century the town became the administrative center of northern Moldavia. In 1509 it was plundered by the Polesand in 1510 and 1513 the Tartars . Rebuilt in 1568, it became the residence of the Upper Chancellor until 1778. From the first half of the fifteenth century, the seal of the city, which was discovered by Nicholas Iorga in an act of 1635, was preserved. In the second half of the century it was again spoiled of Tartars and loses much importance. Because it does not bring any significant income, the rulers donate it to the boyars. In 1804 the administration of Dorohoi’s income is made by the Epitropy of the Hospital House of St Spiridon in Iasi . In 1857 Mihail Kogalniceanu, as a representative of the Dorohoi county and of the big owners, presented the wishes of the Romanians at the meeting of the ad-hoc divan of Moldova. In the war for independence the Dorohoi contributed to them, the monument of the national and local hero Nicolae Valter Maracineanu standing as a witness. The Commemorative Monument in front of the City Hall, the Battle of the Battle, was erected in honor of the fallen in the First World War.

In 1896 the Dorohoi-Iasi railway was built. In 1959 the town was supplied with electricity from its own plant and in 1962 the water was brought with the sacs. Historical monuments are remarkable: the church of St. Nicholas in 1495, the church “Dormition of the Virgin Mary” built from oak beams on a stone foundation in the days of Constantin Moruzi Voevod.

Until the establishment of the communist regime in Romania was the residence of Dorohoi County . In 1968, after the administrative-territorial division of the country, it became a town in the county of Botosani and since December 1994 it is a municipality.

On 1 July 1940, units in the Romanian army, inspired by Legion propaganda, initiated a pogrom against the Jewish population of Dorohoi, including against a number of Jewish soldiers in the Romanian army. An official report recognizes 53 murders of Jews (11 women, 5 children and the rest of the men). According to Jewish community data, the number of Jews killed was between 165-207. Many other Jews were beaten, tortured and robbed. None of the perpetrators was punished.

 

Jews of Dorohoi

Jews first settled in Dorohoi in the 17th Century. It was set up as a Jewish Guild under Moldavia. Jews suffered here during World War I.

  • There were 600 Jewish families in Dorohoi in 1803.
  • 3,031 people in 1859 (roughly half of the population)
  • 6,804 in 1899 (more than half of the population)
  • 5,800 in 1930s.

The Jewish population actually increased after the Holocaust as a result of refugees settling there. In 1947, there were 7,600 Jews living in Dorohoi. Following the establishment of Israel, the Jewish population of the Dorohoi steadily decreased. In 1956, there were 2,753 Jews. In 1966, there were 1,013. By 2000, there were only 49 Jews left in Dorohoi.

 

Churches

St. Nicholas Church

St. Nicholas Church in Dorohoi is part of the three-legged church built in the last fifteen years of life by the most important ruler of medieval Moldavia, Stefan cel Mare and Saint. From the point of view of the architectural vision, the church (built in 1495) has the same structure as the churches of St. Elias in Suceava (1488), St. George of Harlau (dated 1492), St. Nicholas of Botosani (built in 1497) on a broad base, a spacious, rectangular narthex, a circular nave above which an imposing tower in Moldavian style rises. Exquisitely preserved to this day, though suffering from the weather in history, and bearing the footprint of few less-restored restorations, the church is offered to cultural lovers like a work of art but also, as a Christian worship place for more than half a millennium. There is absolutely nothing about the artist who has made the painting (of remarkable compositional quality and color), and we are beginning to reveal our eyes as a result of the removal of the remains and the layer of smoke that covered the inner walls in the last hundred years since the autumn of 2012. The Church is all the more important as the founding voivode, Stephen the Great and the Holy One, has repeatedly left the rest houses of the princely court that once surrounded it; It is also worth pointing out that the properties of the monastery initially cared for by this respectable place of worship stretched over a considerable area, including communes that are today in the vicinity of Dorohoi.

Wooden church “Nativity of Our Lady” -Vargolici

The wooden church is made of oak beams on a stone foundation, shaped like a ship, with rooftop slopes on the roof and having an exterior carved in a oak barrel a ship’s odgon. The historical monument was built in 1779, during the reign of Constantine Moruzi; as mentioned in the writing above the entrance, being the second church built in the city. It seems that he himself carved the oak beams from the trees that were in the courtyard of the church, from which the walls of the church were made. The form of the worship place is simple, of the ship, with the apse of the haxagonal altar, as well as that of the pronaos, with a high roof; the beams that make up the walls are closed to the vault. The church has no interior painting, the walls are decorated with icons. The Nativity scene and the Baptism scene are the central elements of the interior church paintings. The iconostasis made in 1794 is carved in lime wood and was painted in Byzantine style. Outside the church was not painted, except for a girdle at the base of the church. The sculpture of the catadept is special. The church has a stone foundation and is covered with dirt. In the courtyard of the church, which included the places where the buildings around it are built today, until 1869, there is a cemetery. At this church they served: C. Ciocoiu, pr. Prof. Dumitru Furtuna (folklorist, theologist, publicist, professor), pr. Valerian Cheese, pr. Ilie Popa. The church was restored several times in the years: 1895, 1904 and 1919, 1970, 1995-1998. During the period 1970-1995 the church was closed. The iconostasis made in 1794 is carved in lime wood and was painted in Byzantine style. Outside the church was not painted, except for a girdle at the base of the church. The sculpture of the catadept is special. The church has a stone foundation and is covered with dirt. In the courtyard of the church, which included the places where the buildings around it are built today, until 1869, there is a cemetery. At this church they served: C. Ciocoiu, pr. Prof. Dumitru Furtuna (folklorist, theologist, publicist, professor), pr. Valerian Cheese, pr. Ilie Popa. The church was restored several times in the years: 1895, 1904 and 1919, 1970, 1995-1998. During the period 1970-1995 the church was closed. The iconostasis made in 1794 is carved in lime wood and was painted in Byzantine style. Outside the church was not painted, except for a girdle at the base of the church. The sculpture of the catadept is special. The church has a stone foundation and is covered with dirt. In the courtyard of the church, which included the places where the buildings around it are built today, until 1869, there is a cemetery. At this church they served: C. Ciocoiu, pr. Prof. Dumitru Furtuna (folklorist, theologist, publicist, professor), pr. Valerian Cheese, pr. Ilie Popa. The church was restored several times in the years: 1895, 1904 and 1919, 1970, 1995-1998. During the period 1970-1995 the church was closed. with the exception of a girdle at the base of the church. The sculpture of the catadept is special. The church has a stone foundation and is covered with dirt. In the courtyard of the church, which included the places where the buildings around it are built today, until 1869, there is a cemetery. At this church they served: C. Ciocoiu, pr. Prof. Dumitru Furtuna (folklorist, theologist, publicist, professor), pr. Valerian Cheese, pr. Ilie Popa. The church was restored several times in the years: 1895, 1904 and 1919, 1970, 1995-1998. During the period 1970-1995 the church was closed. with the exception of a girdle at the base of the church. The sculpture of the catadept is special. The church has a stone foundation and is covered with dirt. In the courtyard of the church, which included the places where the buildings around it are built today, until 1869, there is a cemetery. At this church they served: C. Ciocoiu, pr. Prof. Dumitru Furtuna (folklorist, theologist, publicist, professor), pr. Valerian Cheese, pr. Ilie Popa. The church was restored several times in the years: 1895, 1904 and 1919, 1970, 1995-1998. During the period 1970-1995 the church was closed. At this church they served: C. Ciocoiu, pr. Prof. Dumitru Furtuna (folklorist, theologist, publicist, professor), pr. Valerian Cheese, pr. Ilie Popa. The church was restored several times in the years: 1895, 1904 and 1919, 1970, 1995-1998. During the period 1970-1995 the church was closed. At this church they served: C. Ciocoiu, pr. Prof. Dumitru Furtuna (folklorist, theologist, publicist, professor), pr. Valerian Cheese, pr. Ilie Popa. The church was restored several times in the years: 1895, 1904 and 1919, 1970, 1995-1998. During the period 1970-1995 the church was closed.

 

Attractions

The Museum of History and Natural Sciences, inaugurated in 1968 , located in the old Prefect’s building ( 1899 )

House-museum “George Enescu” ( 1860 )

Mihai Eminescu Memorial House

The church dedicated to “Saint Nicholas” – Prince

The wooden church “Vârgolici”, dedicated to the “Assumption of the Mother of God” ( 1779 )

The House of the Prince Moruz ( 1850 )

Private house ( 1828 )

The Grigore Ghica High School building was built in 1880

Municipal House Building ( 1905 )

Ezer-Dorohoi Reservation

 

Government

The city administers three villages: Dealu Mare, Loturi Enescu and Progresul.

 

previous arrow
next arrow
ArrowArrow
Shadow
Slider
YO8TNB.ro © 2000 - 2018 | All rights reserved